Saturday 3 May 2014

Transcendence

Transcendence (2014)

Predicted Rating: 2 Stars

Directed by: Wally Pfister. Starring: Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman, and Rebecca Hall.

On the verge of a scientific breakthrough, Dr. WIll Caster (Depp) is gunned down by a group of technophobic terrorists. He survives the initial attack but the bullet was laced with radioactive material so Dr. Caster has just weeks to live. With the help of his wife (Hall), Dr. Caster uploads his subconscious into a computer in a state known as transcendence. There is then a debate whether the computer is actually Caster, who is slowly plotting to change human nature as we know it.

Well this doesn't happen often but I have seen two absolutely terrible movies in a row. First it was Divergent and now Transcendence. I am now hanging out for Godzilla to right the ship! Unfortunately there is always one or two movies each year that are huge financial flops. In 2012 it was John Carter and Battleship and last year it was the Lone Ranger. The difference here is that I actually enjoyed John Carter and The Lone Ranger and I thought that Battleship, whilst being a poorly made film, was insanely fun. These films just did not live up to their +$200 million budgets. Transcendence only has half this budget but I don't think it will make it's money back because it is a bad film that doesn't have a pre-existing popular franchise to prop it up.

The reason why I think I disliked this movie is that it is very, very confusing. I was left scratching my head on multiple occasions. There was one occasion towards the end of the film where one of the characters pulled a gun on someone she had been working with for the entire film for what seemed to be no reason. However, a lot of the characters look exactly the same so I may have got two people mixed up. I was also confused about what Morgan Freeman's role was in the scheme of things. He was just sort of there. It is my opinion he was included in the movie to say they have Morgan Freeman in the movie to get bums on seats. The same thing was done with Samuel L. Jackson in Robocop. A pointless roll just to have another famous name on the poster.

What flabbergasted me the most about this movie was how quickly the huge underground facility was built. As someone who has worked in the real world I know how hard it is to get people to do just medial tasks. Johnny Depp's wife hires just a local builder with only 6 staff to build this massive robotics facility. A task that is seemingly impossible and if it is possible, would take years to complete. In almost an instance, a huge underground facility is constructed as well as what appears to be the worlds largest solar farm. I was both confused and impressed

Overall: Extremely boring and confusing romp that brings nothing to the table. 0.5 stars

  

No comments:

Post a Comment